Monday, December 8, 2008

Be Undeniably Good



I struggle sometimes with my self-image as a photographer, especially after I meet with brides who don't hire me. Ultimately I know it is better for both me and them, that they hire a photographer who is the best fit. But I can't help but think it is because I am lacking in charisma in the initial meeting. It does hurt my feelings, but I remind myself that the cornerstone of my business is not a vivacious personality - I am kind, good-natured, honest, thoughtful, and hard-working, but these are qualities that the couple does not fully notice until the wedding day and the months afterwards as we continue to stay in touch designing albums and filling print order!
Rather than building on a salesman's personality, my business is built on taking great pictures.
Steve Martin said about how to be successful: "Be undeniably good. When people ask me how do you make it in show business or whatever, what I always tell them and nobody ever takes note of it 'cuz it's not the answer they wanted to hear -- what they want to hear is here's how you get an agent, here's how you write a script, here's how you do this -- but I always say, "Be so good they can't ignore you." If somebody's thinking, "How can I be really good?", people are going to come to you. It's much easier doing it that way than going to cocktail parties.

So in that vein, I was told about two prints lately, "that is the best picture I've ever seen." Both came after people saw the large prints, and both were unsolicited comments - the best kind:) So hopefully the cornerstone of Unplugged, undeniably great picture, is growing more secure every day!



No comments: